Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Daily Outfit 7/10/11

ConnectiCon, the local fandom convention in my state, was this past weekend. I've always had a love-hate relationship with CTcon; on the one hand, I supported it its first few years and will always have a special place in my heart because of that and the fact that, as a general fandom convention, it encompasses more than just "anime" (they always have a large steampunk presence as well as a lot of alternative fashion, sci fi, and Western comic fans). However, that being said.... it kind of sucks in general, and the people are usually not the sort I like to hang about with, to put it lightly. That's why I was pleasantly surprised this year when I found myself socializing and making lots of new friends, as well as reuniting with old ones and spending more money in the dealers' room than I should have -- it was like a flashback to the conventions of old, back in my formative years, and my inner fifteen-year-old enjoyed herself immensely.

I really don't plan on making a habit of frequenting conventions the way I used to; to be perfectly honest, the only reason I went on Sunday was to visit The Lady and the Leopard in the dealers room, purveyors of period-inspired clothing and, mainly, corsets. I've decided this was the summer of corset-buying, something that's been put on the back-burner of my wardrobe-building for far too long. When Angelina posted on my local lolita community saying that the company she worked for would be selling at the convention, I certainly knew where a portion of my savings account would be going!

Since I was unabashed in the fact that I didn't want to do anything but shop, my friend Savannah and I only went up for one day. Here's what we wore!






Sailor for summertime!


Ahoy there ♥


I don't know if you can really tell, but I was trying to channel a pin-up vibe with this outfit. The shoes are these really adorable rope wedges with navy and white striped fabric, ankle straps, and a peep toe. They just scream "Pin up" to me, so I tried to go for a 1940's hint with a vintage hat and cat-eye makeup. I wish I'd realized how wrinkled it was, though... I pulled it out of my luggage from Japan (okay, yes, there are still a few bags I haven't unpacked...) and didn't have time to iron it before I left. It's not that bad, but Taurus-the-perfectionist is internally raging at my bad time management skills!



Rundown:
Sailor OP: Offbrand (from a children's clothing store!)
Hat: Vintage
Shoes: Payless
Socks: Tutuanna


And the ever-beautiful Savannah, also looking lovely &retro!





Rundown:
Blouse and bustier: Offbrand
 Skirt: Bodyline
Fascinator: Forever 21
Shoes: Target
Fur stole: Mine! Vintage, inherited from my grandmother


And I couldn't really talk so much about corsets without showing you guys the one I bought! It was the first of the display that I set eyes on, and I knew it had to be mine. I tried on a few, but this was the first one and I could tell immediately that it'd be the one I took home. They even had this same style and pattern in powder blue, but somehow I resisted and followed my gut with the chocolate brown one. It was definitely the right choice, because when I got home I put together a lovely mori-inspired coord for a meetup this weekend. I can't wait to show you guys! Anyone who's friends with me on facebook or follows my tumblr have seen a sneak preview of it, but everyone else will unfortunately have to wait until next week to see it!


Also better shot of me makeup, woo!


(PS: Also, thank you everyone for your patience concerning my Japan articles! I have a few more pieces to post, and they'll be coming in the next few weeks, I hope. This summer has been a lot stranger than I anticipated, and my blog-schedule is definitely suffering for it... ♥s to all those who's stuck around despite that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails